A heads up: I started this post before giftmas and coming back to finish it found I had to change it. A lot. Prior to giftmas day, 2009 was the best year of my life. I met so many amazing people, had the best fun, started my own business, had fun blogging, and was very much in love. Unfortunately giftmas day saw my Grandads health take a nose dive, boxing day saw him pass away, and the 27th left me alone for the first time since I was 15 when Sol decided to leave me because I want to get married and he doesn’t. Yeah. Lame.
- What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Chose to rock a fringe, worked for myself, sold jewellery, travelled overseas with friends, got a tattoo. Yay, yay, and yay.
- Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 101 in 1001 list started on the 1st of January and I’ve managed to tick quite a few things off it. Including the one that was most important to me at the start of the year – quitting my job.
There will be many more for next year. Including sorting out my relationship/lack of relationship and learning to be strong and happy however the situation turns out.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
Benhi had beautiful little Abigail on the 26th of November
Shonali had cuteness Charlie in August
- Did anyone close to you die?
Yes :[ My very sick Grandad died on Boxing Day. I got to see him one last time on Christmas day and it was horrible to see him so frail and in pain.
- What countries did you visit?
Australia (Gold Coast)
- What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A kitty, a thriving business that pays my bills, a DSLR camera.
- What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May – Trip to Oz
June 3 – Last day of work at Standards
November 26 – Abby is born
December 26 – Grandad Dies
December 27 – Sol leaves me
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Quitting my sucky job to work for myself.
- What was your biggest failure?
Not working hard enough on my relationship, losing control of the situation, becoming financially dependant.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Usual colitis symptoms, broken heart.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Tattoos, trip to Oz, 3 pairs of prescription glasses.
- Whose behaviour merited celebration?
All of my new twitter friends – For being awesome and helping me have some fun
My family – For looking after me and giving me space when I need it when it feels like my world is falling apart
All the people that have tried to keep me distracted this past week
- Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Sol’s, all the people that want to be able to beat their kids legally, all the haters that think gay people and atheists don’t deserve the same rights as them.
- Where did most of your money go?
Food. Always. May seem like a waste but it is one of my favourite things in the world.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Leaving my job, seeing my family, holidaying.
- What song will always remind you of 2009?
Anything by Sonata Arctica, or from Glee.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
- Happier or sadder?
- Thinner or fatter?
Potentially fatter, but definitely more comfortable with my body.
- Richer or poorer?
I have more money in my savings account, but less regular income.
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasting time online unnecessarily.
- How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent the morning at Mums opening presents before getting a call to say Grandad had taken a turn for the worst and wouldn’t be able to spend the day out of hospital after all.
Followed by food.
Followed by a trip to the hospital to see my Dad’s side of the family and Grandad looking frail and struggling for breath.
Night time was spent getting drunk at my Aunties house across the road from Mum’s. Siblings, cousins, Mum, Step Dad, Aunty and Uncle did a good job of distracting me from Grandads expected passing by singing, dancing, and laughing.
4.30am bought a phone call from Dad’s wife to say Grandad had passed.
- Did you fall in love in 2009?
I fall in love/obsession with things all the time, so yes. Most recently it’s been Alan Rickman/Severus Snape, Emma Watson, Harry Potter (the stories not the boy), Glee, and Sonata Arctica. I stayed very much in love with Sol.
- What was your favourite TV programme?
Glee, House, Gossip Girl, Gilmore Girls, True Blood, Dexter, Shortland Street. Don’t make me choose.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I hate NZ Post. Does that count?
- What was the best book you read?
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sonata Arctica. I heard them last year but listened to everything and became obsessed this year!
- What did you want and get?
Some wholesale orders, awesome new friends, laser cutter, new job, tattoos.
- What did you want and not get?
A proper commitment from Sol
- What was your favourite film of this year?
Inglourious Basterds, though I watched Love Actually most.
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24 and celebrated with dinner and drinks at Japanese Restaurant Arashi. Then I got to meet Laura, Stacey, and Sarah from twitter at Hooch. I love those ladies!
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting engaged. Or even not being dumped, I would settle for that.
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
“I don’t give a fuck how you expect me to dress”
It involves a lot of t shirts, sneakers, tights, and skirts.
- What kept you sane?
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Severus Snape. lol.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
Religion in government, homophobia in society. The usual stuff.
- Who did you miss?
My mum. And I’ve missed Sol for a couple of days now.
- Who was the best new person you met?
I can’t just choose one! Everyone from twitter I now see regularly. You have made the last few months amazing – Jo, Stacey, Laura, Amie, Lisa.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009
No matter how much love someone they can still be an absolute dickhead and abandon you right when you really need them.
Or how about – you don’t have to work in a job you hate.
Or maybe – good friends are worth their weight in gold.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
“If you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it”
If I haven’t mentioned you by name it’s not that I don’t love and appreciate you, it’s that I have a pretty terrible memory unless things are written down. If you’re reading this I love you too!
I got a couple of questions in my formspring (ask me something anonymously if you like) I thought I’d answer them in a post because it makes me look like I’m actually doing something for the blog when actually I’m just talking about myself.
How do you make your acrylic jewellery? Like, with what? I made a much crappier, but similar kind of thing in high school, and it needed an epic machine..
We use a laser cutter, it is pretty epic! Vector line drawings are created or imported into CorelDraw and this is what instructs the laser. The computer and laser cutter are hooked up and the acrylic is placed in the laser cutter under the path of the laser. The easiest way to explain it is that you print your design and the laser cuts in the appropriate places.
You’re left with a clean edge and occasional residue from the melted plastic which we clean off with a solvent.
What’s on the top of your Christmas list?
Honestly: An engagement ring
If money was no object: DSLR camera or an all expenses paid trip to Germany
Non stuff: That my Grandad makes it through Christmas and the New Year in relative good health and when he does eventually go that he’s not in pain and has not been immobile and full of tubes
From my realistic list: It’s so hard to choose from my lists (1 and 2) – but I guess flask, booklight, clothes, watch, and books. I love everything I am gifted though!
Listening to: Faith No More; N.E.D.
Watched this week: Entourage Season 3 and 4, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
On my wishlist: More coasters for our new coffee table, we made one, and it took 20 minutes to cut so a redesign is in order. The Florentine pattern matches our glasses and cups. :D
I’m loving: Brand new babies (Congrats Shonali and Graham, he’s gorgeous!), indulging all the time, TV on the internet, emails from readers, a rush of sales after a quiet week, splurging on food.
Favourite photo: There are a lot of hot black cars on the shows I’ve been watching. I can’t drive, and prefer a wussy engine when I’m in a car, but I have an undying love for beautiful black cars.
I was tagged
by Sarah Hannah of Death Wears Diamond Jewellery to answer a few little questions for y’all…
- What is your current obsession?
TV shows! I’m watching Entourage, True Blood, and Burn Notice, and patiently awaiting the return of Gossip Girl.
- What is your horoscope and do you relate?
I’m a Libran and I while have many of the “Libran traits” I don’t believe in that stuff anymore.
- What are you wearing today?
After I changing out of my fluro pink satin PJ bottoms and my WordCamp grey long sleeved tee (that I wore until after 5) I got into grey wide legged pants, a black unicorn t shirt, and a black Misery hoody.
- What is the last thing you bought?
$167 worth of food.
- What do you think about the person who tagged you?
She’s a great blogger taking my world by storm. I love the combo of social issues and fashion.
- What’s for dinner?
Mediterranean tuna & rice bake
- What’s your favourite decade, fashion wise?
90′s through to now. (I know that’s almost 2 decades, but I’m a Libran and refuse to choose :p)
- What are your must haves for summer?
Sunblock, cocktails, big hats, shady trees, friends, and family.
I have very white skin and live in NZ where there’s a big hole in the ozone layer. To top it off I’m on medication which increases sensitivity to the sun. :[
- What would you love to be able to afford?
A house, gourmet food, a trip all over Europe, a cleaner, to never have to work. What wouldn’t I love to be able to afford?!
- What is your favourite piece of clothing from your wardrobe?
My pants from Supre that fit me perfectly, are wide legged, and are long enough!
- What is your dream job?
- What is your favourite magazine?
With the amazing selections of blogs out there I hardly ever read magazines, and at $10-$20 a pop to get anything good in NZ there’s not much encouraging me to buy them. I do like Idealog though, it’s a NZ business mag for creatives and innovators.
- Describe your personal style?
I like to be comfortable. Wide leg pants, t shirts, blazers, hoodies, sneakers, shirt dresses with leggings. And it’s all in black or grey with pink accessories.
- Which Beatle is your favourite?
:S I honestly wouldn’t know one Beatle from the next!
- What are you proud of?
Not compromising my morals and maintaining the expectation that people should respect me.
And if they wish to participate I’m tagging:
I was tagged again by Gem at Half Accidental again to fill out this meme…
1. Link to the person that tagged you
2. Post the rules on your blog
3. Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself
4. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs
5. Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website
- I’ve been shite at updating this week. I’ve got a lot of work on and now my boss sits right behind me and can see my screen. And I’ve been trying to edit my theme to make it look tidier, I had a major breakthrough today when I enlisted two of my programmer friends/colleagues to help me figure it out. Turns out there was absolutely no way I could’ve done it myself. So please excuse the tardiness.
- I have very mild OCD, agoraphobic and monophobic tendencies. I don’t lose the ability to function but I get scared when I’m alone, and the agoraphobia comes down to fear of flying or being on a boat because I’m away from safety.
Doors must be shut completely or left wide open, wardrobe doors must always be closed when not in use; I will make myself crazy if I can’t remember the word I want to use, or the name of something. Yeah I suppose I’m kinda crazy.
- My second toe (next to the big one) on my right foot is curled. It used to be like that on both feet but the left one fixed itself. This is probably the reason I hate feet.
- I love the smell of coconut.
- I love pina coladas and coruba & coke.
- All of the GMs are at an off site meeting today and so we are having a rubber band fight. For reals. And my boss is firing most of them!
Photo updates, Super Summer Starter info, and news about my pretty new computer coming soon.
Anything you’d like to see on Cupcakes And Mace?
P.S. I’m not tagging anyone but if you would like to be included in future let me know you’re up for it
I was tagged by Gem at Half Accidental to answer these questions. It’s my first time being tagged so I’m happy to oblige. :]
4 things I did today:
- Ate a cookie
- Teased my boss about having another female around to run his life Congratulated my boss on his new baby girl
- Called approximately 5 customers “dumbass” or “stupid” once they were off the phone
- Discovered why everyone loves dooce.com
4 things on my to-do list:
- Get a tattoo
- Be awesome enough to work for myself
- Get married
- Tell my GM to stick her job up her ass
4 guiltiest pleasures::
- Spending a lot of time on the internet at work to do non work stuff
- Spending the rest of my time in or on my bed watching programs, reading, eating, or surfing the net
- Cupcakes, cookies, lollies, and chocolate
4 random facts about me:
- I quit school halfway through 6th form (that’s the second to last year of highschool for people that went through a different curriculum), then I went to tech for 6 months
- The boy and I lived in different cities and had only seen each other 2 times plus a one week visit (over the course of a year) before we moved to Wellington to live together
- I don’t understand people who believe in God and I wonder wtf is wrong with them
- I became (mostly except for fish) vegetarian a year and a half ago because I couldn’t stop thinking that I was chewing on an animals flesh and it grossed me out