Not the greatest photo, nevertheless it serves as proof that I did in fact bake a fruit pie.
Our kitchen was a madhouse on Saturday with secret birthday cakes being baked and the oven in demand by three of us cooking for a potluck dinner.
Despite the panicky stage fright that overwhelms me when cooking for other people the apple pie was delicious. Definitely a pie I’ll bake again. In hindsight it’s a super simple recipe, the most frustrating part was trying to get my frozen sheets of pastry unstuck from each other. WHY IS IT ALWAYS SO HARD!?
I used Grandma Ople’s recipe with a few modifications:
- 2 Tbsp flour & 1 Tbsp cornflour instead of 3 Tbsp flour
- Margarine in place of butter to keep it dairy free
- I made the syrup in two batches after it was suggested that the syrup is thick and wouldn’t soak through the lattice very well and that it crystalises quickly:
- I made half the syrup recipe and mixed it with the apples before loading them into the pie base
- I then created the lattice top before making the rest of the syrup and pouring it over
- I cooked the pie at 180C for the full hour and covered it with tin foil about way through the cooking time to stop it from browning any further