I’m reading: Wicked
I’m listening to: Afternoon Raj, My Chemical Romance
Wishlist: This darling little tea cup ring.
- Sunny days and the pretty sunsets I can see from my bed
- The abundance of like minded individuals (yes I know that sounds like an oxymoron!) on twitter
- Plaid, tartan, madras and gingham. I’m absolutely in love with all these checker like patterns right now.
- Throwing myself around on the dance floor to live music
- Feeling like I’m going to spew/drown in sweat from throwing myself around on the dance floor to live music
- Data caps on my internet. It’s stressing me and The Boy out. He feels like he can’t use the internet because I’m always using it, I get irritable when we go over our limit a week before it rolls over and can’t look at pictures and download shows.
And it appears that no one has invented a program to monitor which sites are sucking the bandwidth.
- Being sick
- The lack of money that comes with having a very small home business
While it’s tempting to call them “baristi” because of the Italian roots, the plural of “barista” is “journalism majors.”
Favourite photo: Natalie is an amazing artist!
Watched this week: The Matrix
Wishlist: I am so in love with this plaid skirt from Etsy seller PINaR ERIS. I really like plaid, and ruffles, and I’m actually really starting to like yellow. Perfect.
Best buy: My first tattoo! More to come on that next week when it’s more healed and I have better photos.
- Brunch with my Dad
- Amazing new friends from the internet
- Pink helium balloons
- The huge number of compliments I get on my red Nikes
- Clothes swap/beauty treatments/food and fun at the Pretty Pretty Pretty party. I Scored a couple of great skirts and tops. I wore one today, I know that’s so not cool – to wear second hand clothes without washing them first – but I’m pretty sure no one died in it so I don’t care.
- Buttery salty couscous. I have eaten so much couscous this week, it’s delicious!
Listening to: Citizen Cadre, The Feathered Friends.
I love and treasure individuals as I meet them, I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to.
- If you follow me on twitter you’ve probably heard my excited squeals this week. We got our first big wholesale order from the good people at ModCloth. I’m actually going to be busy this week!
- My birthday this week. :D Dinner is planned with 18 or so of my closest friends.
- Talking to Mum on the phone for the first time in a while (we usually text).
- Fun filled weekends.
- Asking a chick at a bar if she’s someone I know online. Turns out no, but she gets asked if that’s her ALL the time.
- Amazing suppliers that send you what you need really quickly. Makes life SO much better!
- Pictures of cute goats that poke out their tongues. I never knew goats could be adorable.
Favourite CC photo:
Listening to:The Searchers, The Everly Brothers, and Sonata Arctica.
Watched this week: Fight Club; all the new season shows, Grey’s Anatomy! Dollhouse! Gossip Girl! Heroes!
Wishlist: Some motivation to go to bed at a reasonable hour please. I’m not tired but the black rings under my eyes tell a different story. I haven’t had black rings under my eyes for a long time.
I’m loving: Playing spider solitaire, hearts, and freecell; sugar filled weekends – I got through
2 and a half 3 bags of candy, and half a cheesecake; sport that is fun to watch; eating dinner at someone elses house two nights in a row; anticipating the holiday break and seeing my family (yes, already); realising that my life has been a perpetual weekend for almost 4 months!
Favourite CC photo:
Guess what!? CupcakesandMace.com turns one on Friday. This little blog has come a long way in a year and my life has changed quite a bit. I know I have a bunch of new subscribers so I’d like to give you the opportunity to come out of the woodwork and ask me anything. Why I make jewellery, what my favourite site is, if I really eat that much cake, why isn’t your boyfriend txting you back.
And on Friday we’re starting a whole new competition! :D Don’t forget to come back then and enter.
Watched this week: Quarantine.
I’m loving: That people love my jewellery enough that they trust my decisions when creating custom pieces for them, I don’t know if I’ll ever stopped being amazed by how great customers in this industry are!
The amazingly positive response I got from the invisible illness post, thank you for caring enough to read.
Planning my tattoos. I haven’t decided on a design for my first one yet, but I have bookmarked so many amazing tattoos and artworks to use as inspiration.
The Boy has come around to the idea of me getting a tattoo. I remember probing him about how he’d feel in the past and he wasn’t too keen, if I had really wanted one then that wouldn’t have stopped me. But now that I am SUPER keen on getting some The Boy has gotten used to my changing personality and actually likes my ideas, he’s even agreed to help me design them.
Getting a postcard from Hell Pizza for a free desert pizza and realising how ironic it was that I was reading it while eating Dominos Pizza. I tweeted the irony and got a reply from Hell saying they were about to knock on the door to take it back. They then proceeded to quote my least favourite song of all time at me. They really are the devil.
Best line: [Walking up the street we both smell something horrible, it smells like rotten fish, I screw up my nose and ask what it is.] “Oh the windows are open at the brothel” – The Boy
Note: Prostitution is legal in New Zealand, we live near a brothel that has been in the newspaper a bit because of its residential location. We don’t actually think that little of prostitutes*, but living near one is easy fodder for jokes. Also it’s a bit scary walking past it at night when there are obviously seedy men waiting around outside.
Favourite CC photo: Pink Tree
*I don’t however understand the people that pay for sex.
Listening to: Moonlight Flit and Mercury Crowe. I hadn’t listened to live music for a while, but last night a friend/ex bass teacher/The Boy’s sister in law’s brothers band Moonlight Flit finally had their album release party for their first album, Road to the Outside. It has been years in the making.
The show was great despite a few technical problems and the artwork on their album is beautiful.
Watched this week: United 93 – Around the time when people realised they were going to die and started saying goodbye is when my eyes went as wide as saucers fixed on the screen and I began to cry; Stranger Than Fiction; Road Trip; The Young Victoria.
Best Buy: Lots of pink acrylic plus four new colours! The factory that makes the pink frost burnt down (0_0) so we made sure to get enough to hopefully last us the next couple of years while it’s rebuilt.
I’m loving: Cake, baby clothes (so tiny and cute!), cocktails, sunny days, planning my first tattoos (finding it hard to think about anything else), tumbling, light at 6pm (summers coming!).
I love working with Havi on projects. Why? Because I get Havi’s people! If you think to yourself, “Why would Naomi hook up with the Havinator? They’re so different!“, well, congratulations. You fail at business.
Naomi – IttzBiz
Favourite CC photo:
The first anniversary of Cupcakes and Mace will be here in a few weeks and I want to celebrate! I just don’t know how. An opportunity for you to ask me every and any question with a promise I’ll answer them all? Another competition? A collaborative craft project? Something else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Watched this week: The Crow, finally! I decided to look up Brandon Lee’s IMDB profile and was questioning if he was actually that bad in the movie that he really hadn’t been hired for another part since The Crow, and then I noticed a thread asking how they finished the movie after he had died. That’s how little I knew about this movie. Didn’t know he was Bruce Lee’s son, didn’t know he was shot during the filming of the movie.
On my wishlist: Super funny awesome blogger Winona from Daddy Likey is publishing a book! It’s called Closet Confidential: Style Secrets Learned the Hard Way and is released on the 9th of November.
Best Buy: Sterling silver earring findings. I ordered a few hundred dollars worth of chains and earrings from the US. It is SO much cheaper to get them from there, even with shipping and the fact the NZ dollar is worth nothing in comparison!
I’m loving: Cooking foods other than bread in the breadmaker (seriously considering creating lazy girls cookbook!); a great week of sales (just need to recreate it on a loop); realising I am doing my own thing and have far more friends and it makes me all very happy; “Extreme moisturising. HARDCORE.”; great parties where everyone is approachable and cool, no ones being obnoxious, and good times are had; yum pie and curly fries with friends; candy from overseas (maple syrup lollies! thanks Amy!); a fantastic week of sales; new ideas for jewellery continuously flooding my brain :D; finding clothes I thought I’d lost 6 months ago.
I’m loathing: When someone asks what your favourite movie/book/band is and when you answer they give a kind of ridiculing half laugh half sneer. I’m so sorry that Fight Club isn’t abstract or arthouse enough for your tastes.
Another thing I have an unnatural dislike for: Keno – When the numbers are read out on screen at night I have to change the channel or at least mute it. For some reason it makes my skin crawl. Weirdo.
I don’t know how The Boy can live with me sometimes. I didn’t have a shower for three days in a row this week. A total of three power company reps and one courier guy saw me in my fluffy pink robe and ugg boots as I tried to hide behind my door and failed.
Watched this week: Entourage Season 5 – Now, The King of Kong, Inglourious Basterds, The Hangover (disappointing), The Boat That Rocked (we both laughed and cried).
On my wishlist: Pencil skirts. After putting on another all black ensemble yesterday I realised I looked a bit boxy and decided I’m going to try to work some more colour into my wardrobe. I doubt I’ll be leaving the black t shirts behind me anytime soon but a few bright pencil skirts could be just what I need to show that I do actually have a waist and that having an ass and thighs ain’t all bad!
I’m loving: Seeing a guy at the bus stop wearing nothing but his underwear and a t shirt, presumably doing the pantless walk of shame; 60s music; Bill Nighy; “You look like a unicorn… in a negligee”; The crazy cat from downstairs. It started a while back when a new person moved in downstairs, suddenly there was this huge fluffy cat that was really really friendly and would rub all over you while you went to check the mail. About a week ago I was petting it and as I went back up the stairs to our flat it kept jumping in front of me trying to block my way. Then it found it’s way into our house when we had the door open. We were happy to have it wonder around but it seems that one invite was enough for it to take over. We haven’t even fed the cat before but now it scratches at our door to be let in. The other night it scratched at the door for an hour while we sat inside feeling bad for not letting it in but still wanting it to learn that it does not in fact live here.
We don’t know it’s name, or even what sex it is, so we just call it downstairs kitty…because it lives downstairs.
Best line: [After seeing a cat squish itself under a fence] “Maybe it was bred with an octopus. Hahaha Octo-PUS.” – The Boy
I’ve now been awarded the Kreativ Blogger award by two lovely blogger ladies (thank you very much Ela and Charlie :]) so I suppose it’s time for me to follow the rules once again. The rules dictate that I must share seven things about myself that people might find interesting. And we all know how a personal blogger loves the limelight so I’m happy to oblige. It may be hard to come up with seven things I haven’t over shared already though…
- I believe I have the band My Chemical Romance to thank/blame for my obsession with the internet. It started with me seeing one of their videos on TV, then I got into their music in a big way, so I joined the MCRmy street team, started spending all my spare time online, got a MySpace, started to blog on it, started reading other blogs, etc.
- I didn’t start wearing glasses till I was 20. In previous years I had often exclaimed at how perfect my vision was. :[
- I take 6 prescription pills daily.
- I am the eldest of 5 children, my youngest brother is 18 years younger than me.
- I am afraid of flying, but only when I’m already in the air.
- I didn’t finish high school, I didn’t even finish the second to last year. I left for a 6 month computing course when I was 16, and there is nothing I would change about that decision!
- I am a pescetarian (the only meat I eat comes from the sea). The only other meat I crave is the crappy stuff in pies and burgers.
Listening to: Faith No More; N.E.D.
Watched this week: Entourage Season 3 and 4, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
On my wishlist: More coasters for our new coffee table, we made one, and it took 20 minutes to cut so a redesign is in order. The Florentine pattern matches our glasses and cups. :D
I’m loving: Brand new babies (Congrats Shonali and Graham, he’s gorgeous!), indulging all the time, TV on the internet, emails from readers, a rush of sales after a quiet week, splurging on food.
Favourite photo: There are a lot of hot black cars on the shows I’ve been watching. I can’t drive, and prefer a wussy engine when I’m in a car, but I have an undying love for beautiful black cars.
I was tagged
by Sarah Hannah of Death Wears Diamond Jewellery to answer a few little questions for y’all…
- What is your current obsession?
TV shows! I’m watching Entourage, True Blood, and Burn Notice, and patiently awaiting the return of Gossip Girl.
- What is your horoscope and do you relate?
I’m a Libran and I while have many of the “Libran traits” I don’t believe in that stuff anymore.
- What are you wearing today?
After I changing out of my fluro pink satin PJ bottoms and my WordCamp grey long sleeved tee (that I wore until after 5) I got into grey wide legged pants, a black unicorn t shirt, and a black Misery hoody.
- What is the last thing you bought?
$167 worth of food.
- What do you think about the person who tagged you?
She’s a great blogger taking my world by storm. I love the combo of social issues and fashion.
- What’s for dinner?
Mediterranean tuna & rice bake
- What’s your favourite decade, fashion wise?
90’s through to now. (I know that’s almost 2 decades, but I’m a Libran and refuse to choose :p)
- What are your must haves for summer?
Sunblock, cocktails, big hats, shady trees, friends, and family.
I have very white skin and live in NZ where there’s a big hole in the ozone layer. To top it off I’m on medication which increases sensitivity to the sun. :[
- What would you love to be able to afford?
A house, gourmet food, a trip all over Europe, a cleaner, to never have to work. What wouldn’t I love to be able to afford?!
- What is your favourite piece of clothing from your wardrobe?
My pants from Supre that fit me perfectly, are wide legged, and are long enough!
- What is your dream job?
- What is your favourite magazine?
With the amazing selections of blogs out there I hardly ever read magazines, and at $10-$20 a pop to get anything good in NZ there’s not much encouraging me to buy them. I do like Idealog though, it’s a NZ business mag for creatives and innovators.
- Describe your personal style?
I like to be comfortable. Wide leg pants, t shirts, blazers, hoodies, sneakers, shirt dresses with leggings. And it’s all in black or grey with pink accessories.
- Which Beatle is your favourite?
:S I honestly wouldn’t know one Beatle from the next!
- What are you proud of?
Not compromising my morals and maintaining the expectation that people should respect me.
And if they wish to participate I’m tagging:
Watched this week: Miss March (worst movie ever!); District 9; Entourage – Season 1 and 2
On my wishlist: So SO beautiful. I would love either a huge print for the wall or a print on a black t shirt. [from Threadless]
I’m loving: The beautiful Dodge Charger in Burn Notice, pinot gris, a pick up in business this week, appreciative customers, eating out 4 times in 3 days, warmer nights.
Favourite photo: As well as swamps I find Chernobyl eerily beautiful.