- The ABC guide to drama-free female friendships! Plenty that I need to remember and plenty I would like people to learn. I’m a bit sick of hearing woman say that they can’t get along with other ladies.
- If only I had the words to express how amazing Hyperbole and a Half is. Adventures in depression, a pretty accurate depiction of what a depressive episode looks like for a lot of people.
- Now that you’re big / There’s some stuff you should know / There’s some stuff you should know / About your bits down below.
- Rachel lets us inside the world of sugar daddies and sugar babies at a ball arranged for those seeking “mutually beneficial relationships”.
- Flatmate Jason occasionally emails us pictures that are either hilarious or controversial or both. I’m particularly fond of ones that include one of my favourite fictional characters and his cross. Stop! Hammer time. + This is going to be hilarious.
- And then the PR guy called me a fucking bitch. According to the PR guy The Bloggess should have been flattered she was relevant enough to be pitched at all.
- Men Ups. Photos of men in typical female pin up poses. Goes to show how fucking ridiculous the act of posing “sexy” really is.
- It’s not just pin up poses that are stupid either. Fashion model poses are fucking ridiculous too, proven when the poses are replicated by people in the street.
- More crazy ways to paint your nails. Do you remember marbling paper in school? That! But for your nails!
- Nowt nor summit kindly rescued this article from behind The Times’ paywall. Differences between being rich and being poor and why those that have never been poor can’t know what it’s really like. The poverty trap.
- The Globe and Mail take the piss out of celebrities in their celebrity photos of the week feature.
“Lauren Conrad, well-known chronicler of the down and out in Orange County, wore shorts to the polo match to show her support for people who can’t afford long pants, something she read about online one time or something.”
- This is not far enough from the truth. National’s election billboard.
- Remembering a relationship through gchat. Prepare for tears.
- New Years break with the gang last year consisted of 5 days of eating and drinking at Waitarere Beach and Jason finally got his photos developed! Can’t wait till this New Years break at a different beach with even more of my favourite people.
- Why Poppy no longer cares for ‘internet feminism’. I can relate, not to the books as I haven’t read them, but to this:
“People with the ‘wrong’ opinion are viciously cut down. I am frightened of speaking about how I feel,because I have not read enough,do not know enough,am too privileged am not a “good enough” feminist. Because I do not fit into the rhetoric that is currently in vogue, I am too afraid to trust my own voice,my own opinions. It is not merely me questioning my beliefs and privileges, it is about being afraid because I am not doing it the right way, because I don’t agree with what everyone else says, because I haven’t researched enough, because I am not thinking deeply enough.”
“I do not like leggings. I think they are ugly…” “…But in the feminist blogosphere,if one has the audacity to say that one does not like leggings, this is not what that statement means. It means that one hates fat people, that one is body policing and fashion policing and oppressing women who choose to wear what they want.”
- I love fancy weirdo style! In my head this is who I am…the reality is a lot more clothes on the floor and piles of laser cut plastic.
- Hey girl. Did you hear about Feminist Ryan Gosling yet?
- Remember Blossom?! Refinery 29 talked to costume designer Sherry Thompson. Mayim Bialik is on The Big Bang Theory these days and has a PhD in neuroscience!
- Speak now.
Taylor Swift doesn’t understand yet that her constant intense desire to fall in love is mostly just the desire to fuck everything, and that she can fuck everything without automatically falling in love. And that she can fuck everything AND fall in love.
- Proving again that nothing is new and there are no original ideas. Dads are the original hipster.
I’m not a big rugby fan, in fact before the cup started we made jokes like ‘Winter is coming’ (holla Game of Thrones reference) because we thought the RWC was going to be a huge munter fest.
While we did miss out on news of much importance over the last 2 months, and Jason’s bumper was torn off his car by French tourists, and I may not ever hear the word groin without thinking of Dan Carter again, I also did watch the final and kinda enjoyed it. And I would be lying if watching this video didn’t make me feel a little emotional.
This country loves the shit out of rugby. For better or worse.
Thank goodness it’s all over now.
Oh and I’d also be lying if this video wasn’t my second favourite* part of the whole RWC. SHAME JOHN KEY. It’s ok to be mean-spirited towards JK because he’s a horrible person.
*My favourite was the three way handshake fail but the IRB claimed copyright on that video! A hilarious tumblr parodying the fumble is up though: keyhandshake.tumblr.com
The craziest thing happened to Bede when he arrived in Nepal to help Edventure Nepal Orphanage. And then he managed to raise $7000 nzd for them in 14 days! What a guy!